Friday 18 September 2020

Interview with MOTHMAN

I went to Austin, Texas with work once and besides having some fun at Austin Terror Fest I also found a local grind gem with a creepy-ass name. As soon as the first song started blasting from Bandcamp I knew I was in for a treat so I went to see them play live of course and oh my god did they made a new fan than night. These guys are very active in the scene, but they are not super keen to use social media so I wanted to help spread their amazing music on this side of the ocean and learn a bit more of what lurks behind their killer hardcore. Ladies and gents, today we are talking with Nathan and Andy from MOTHMAN.



So Mothman is this urban legend being that will show up at a tragedy site before it happens as a bad omen, is that right? What is your fascination with this being and why did you chose this title? 
 
NATHAN: Aside from being an omen, when someone sees Mothman, they're struck with intense fear and can't look away or run. They just have to endure the deep feeling of pain and panic. I think the latter attracted us to the moniker--seeing something truly terrifying and being unable to remove yourself from it. Also the movie Mothman Prophecies (2002) scared Skiles and I real bad when we were kids. 
 
ANDY: I didn't choose the title as I was brought into this project later on, but what Nathan said sums it up pretty well. I, however, never feared the Moth as a child but rather embraced the fear and teachings within.
 
I feel like your lyrics are a mixture of political and personal stuff is that right? Are there any other topics you are trying to transmit? Are you guys into horror? 
 
NATHAN: A lot of the earlier record topics were political and religious with some personal stories here and there. The newer stuff is more personal. We're just trying to get some feelings out with no particular agenda other than making heavy music. Horror is cool too.
 
ANDY: I just play drums.
 
I can hear hardcore/sludge/metalcore/grind... How would you describe your style if we are trying to be more specific than "Aiming to bring the most abrasive music possible"? 
 
NATHAN: I like how you described our sound when we met in Austin--metalcore influenced grind. Anything technical and heavy has always intrigued and inspired us musically. We want fans of loud, angry, fast, heavy music to enjoy our songs, but more importantly we want to enjoy writing and playing them and challenge ourselves. That usually means drawing influence from a few genres.
 
ANDY: I think our style is heavily influenced by how people may respond to what we're playing. It's quite often we'll look at a part and think, 'people are going to go nuts here' or something along those lines. Our live shows, in my opinion, are integral to the success of this band and we create a lot of special 'holy $#!t' moments for fans. Rarely do we ever look at a part and go 'we can't do that, that's not in our genre', nothing is off-limits if it melts faces. 
 

 
You guys remind me of Vulgar Pigeons and later Pig Destroyer. What really are your main influences?
 
NATHAN: For me it's a lot of heavier bands that also have an all-encompassing mystique about them: Gaza, Architect, the_network... a lot of early Black Market Activities bands. It's hard to pin down a small handful. We'll hear a song by one band and be inspired to make some weird part fit into a song that was inspired by another song from a different band. Skiles doesn't listen to too much new music so he's always finding inspiration from old albums we listened to from back in the day. Andy doesn't listen to too much heavy music and that brings an interesting influence into the mix. We're all so comfortable playing music together that everything just works out. We enjoy pushing each other
 
ANDY: I don't listen to a lot of heavy music, and more-so probably not the same bands that Nathan or Skiles would draw inspiration from. However, I do still have my own bands that influence my style including Architects, Counterparts, The Black Dhalia Murder, Norma Jean, and Dillinger Escape Plan.
 
When is the new album coming out? Any chance it will have more blastbeats? 
 
NATHAN: I'd expect we get this record out in 2021. As for blast beats, there are less than the last record, but they're extremely tasteful and well executed so it evens out. 
 
ANDY: Sadly, not as many blast beats.
 
I see most of the shows take place in and around Austin. Is that right? Any tour ideas after covid?
 
NATHAN: This band has only been on one short tour. We'd love to take the show on the road, but it's difficult with life and other music projects. Hopefully one day we can make it to Europe, Mothman Festival in Point Pleasant, WV and to a Mathcore Index Fest
 
ANDY: Would definitely love to when appropriate. 
 
I know Nathan is in a bunch of other bands. Could we know more about it? What about other Mothman members? What other bands you are related to and what should we hear? 
 
NATHAN: Skiles and I play in Thieves, Drip-Fed and Mothman. Andy plays in Nominee. All the bands are on streaming platforms and all the releases fucking rip. Thieves dropped a new album at the end of 2019. Nominee and D-F are both sitting on new albums that will come out in 2021. 
 

Are you gear maniacs or would you play with whatever as long as it's loud? 
 
NATHAN: I'd say we're average gear maniacs. Skiles and I have played the same rigs for years. Andy has played the same kit for years. We're definitely into checking out cool weird gear, but we're definitely married to what has worked for us. We prefer to play our own gear. Andy got that spring mount clip for his china when we were in high school and that was a pretty big deal.
 
ANDY: What can I say, the spring mounted clip was exciting new technology at the time on par with when the Zil-Bel came out. I am not a gear head, I like what I like and stick with what works for me. I have plenty of friends who go and chase the 'new best thing' and that's just not for me.
 
I went to see some shows in Austin and I had an impression that every band brings their own equipment, like FULL backline. Is that common practice in the US for venues to not provide this stuff and leave it with the band? Or is it because bands care about their sound being unique so much? 
 
NATHAN: Skiles and I toured Europe in October 2019 and were introduced to the idea that the headliner provides gear for everyone and it blew our minds. In the US it's rare that bands share gear to that extent unless they're friends and on tour together. We always prefer to use our gear anyways because it's what we're used to playing with. One time I asked the bassist of Vampyre if he wanted to use my 810 and he said he likes to use his own gear and I said word and then he rolled his own 810 on stage and by stage I mean floor.
 
ANDY: I loathe having to use another person's drum kit. I will always play on mine if I have the choice as it's set up for me and feels natural. I'll never tour in Europe. 
 
Can you tell us more about TX grind/hc scene? What less known bands should we check out? 
 
NATHAN: That's a tough question. We don't have too many grind bands in Austin, let alone a scene. Mammoth Grinder is probably the best heavy band out of Austin. DSGNS are another great metal band. The Bearer are a great band with new stuff coming out soon. Insvrgence are great friends of ours who work harder than a lot of bands from Austin. Of course Fire From The Gods are big time players now and still great dudes. 
 

Do you think Texas climate is part of the rage in you? Do you enjoy constantly sweating in 3 digit degrees or would you rather live somewhere with snow and ice castles? 
 
NATHAN: I'd rather be knee deep in snow at any moment. I think Texas politics are more influential than the weather. 
 
ANDY: I'm inside 90% of the year so it never bothers me. It can be pretty brutal going to check the mail though. I don’t like snow. It’s coarse and rough and irritating… and it gets everywhere.
 
What do you guys do for a living? Any chance you could make money doing music someday? 
 
NATHAN: Skiles is an project manager and musician. Andy is an SEO admin and a musician. I'm a multimedia producer and a musician. No we'll never get paid playing music. Actually, Skiles gets paid to play music on weekends in his cover band. But playing original music? Nah. 
 
ANDY: If only, if only.
 
Do you guys like drugs? getting drunk or high? Or are you sober and that is why u so angry? What is your poison of choice? 
 
NATHAN: Just the simple stuff--weed, beer and whiskey. We're Texas boys.
 
Would you like to say something about American politics? 
 
No politics. 
 
What is your favourite thing to do in free time when you are not doing music? 
 
NATHAN: Start another band and do music. 
 
ANDY: Playing video games as that's the only way I can interact with the majority of my friends that I haven't seen in months.
 

There is someone on another continent reading this and they are about to discover your music for the first time. What would you like to tell this person? 
 
NATHAN: Thank you for listening. Turn it up to 11 and bang your head. Let us know what you think and show your friends if y’all know what’s good. 
 
ANDY: I like walks on the beach and I'm open to new things. Get me out of here.
 
Last words and thank you's? 
 
NATHAN: Thank YOU for setting up this interview. We appreciate everyone listening and enjoying what we've put out so far. It'll always be a side project, but we'll always have songs in the bank. Tell a friend and spread the word. New album coming out next year. Less blast beats, but heavier and better riffs. Mothman forever, or until one of us dies. Unless it's Andy, then we'll just get a new drummer. 
 
ANDY: Thanks for the interview and good luck to Mothman finding a new drummer.
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment