Sunday 4 October 2020

NEEDFUL THINGS/CONTROLLED EXISTENCE Split [2020]

In todays review we are talking about a split from the two Czechs finest bands - Controlled Existence and Needful Things. For both bands it is a very important and in a way a sad release, but also a beginning of a new chapter as the vocalists of both bands are leaving and moving on to do something else! Nonetheless this is a great farewell split album and it was amazing hearing all the music they contributed to!

L: Let's start with Controlled Existence side and oh boy, that is a fucking amazing powerviolence release. No bullshit, fast and straight forward PV right from the beginning. Somehow even the slow parts seem fast and hard, the fast parts are fast enough not to turn into an uncomprehendable mush. Thats probably because the mix is quite high quality (for this genre) - the drums sound tight, the whole record sounds “sharp” and in general, this is what a power violence record should sound like, in my opinion. And while I prefer powerviolence because its closer to hardcore punk than usual grindcore is, this is fucking nowhere close to hardcore punk. Just pure hatred.

 

K: Few times I have seen this band live, they always have a very strong stage presence and the serious tone makes you think about the things they have to say. It will be interesting to see where things will head without Luba, but their technical, "broken", Warsore inspired grind we see live is one of a kind and I really hope it's not the last release from CxEx as they already have a replacement


L: On the second side we have Needful Things. Now, this is a proper grindcore release
- blastbeats straight from the start, no bullshit. Songs are longer than on the CxEx side, they are a bit faster and way closer to metal. At times it sounds a bit crusty, there is plenty of powerviolence influences and you can definitely hear some Napalm Death in it as well.

K: This band has been around since forever and you can absolutely tell these guys know how it's done. I remember I was so excited to see them in OEF 2005, but the party just got too much fun before that. I wake up in my tent after a blackout and I hear *blastbeat ends* "thank you that was needful things!" God fucking damn it. I leave the tent in a rush and running I slip on my own puke I forgot was there mixed with Trutnov's mud sokaed in rain. Those fun stories I will never forget and this band has a special place in my heart for sure.


All in all, this is a great, personal and emotional split release, that should be played once in a while by everyone, who is into this kind of stuff. Definitely a top notch record, get a physical copy when it's out.It’s fucking annoying, that there are no way you could listen to both sides in the same place, but I hope that this will change sometime in the future.


Here is the Controlled Existence side...                                     And here is Needful Things!



No comments:

Post a Comment